Retail Sales Professional
San Luis Obispo, CA
This is no ordinary sales role; it’s a full-time career in a store like no other. At Sleep Number, you’re empowered to build real customer relationships, create individualized sleep experiences and redefine what people think a bed can do. Join us and become part of a fast-growing technology company that’s shaping the future of sleep and wellness. It’s the chance to grow in your career, earn a great income and make a difference in people’s lives.
- Level: Entry/Mid-level
- Travel: No
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
We’re looking for a special kind of sales professional. See if you have the right mix of traits.
“The company provides training, support, second-to-none products and beautiful showrooms to present them in. If you combine all of that with a passion for connecting with and helping others, you’ll be successful.”Edward, Sleep Expert
Sleep Associates are expected to deliver high quality sales presentations to customers, to meet and/or exceed sales goals, complete store operational tasks and ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction. Responsible for being engaged in Sleep Number’s vision “to become the world’s most beloved brand by delivering an unparalleled sleep experience."
- Utilize current Selling By Numbers (SBN) sales process to provide all customers with a world class experience
- Meet and exceed personal sales goals and Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) consistently
- Work cooperatively as a member of the store sales team in order to meet and exceed store goals, including KPI’s
- Build relationships with new and existing Customers by participating in store events and following Select Comfort’s Lead Management System by entering eligible leads, sending “Thank You” cards and making follow-up phone calls
- Actively participate in and complete all company required training and certifications
- Complete store operational tasks; ensure all display and demonstration models, as well as store, are kept clean and in working condition
- Read, understand and follow all company policies and procedures
- Adhere to all company policies and the standards set forth in the Code of Business Conduct
- Comply with all safety rules, regulations and training; maintain a safe workplace
- May perform other job-related duties as assigned
Key Performance Indicators
- Dollars - % to plan
- Leads - % to plan
- Flex Fit Attach
- Bedding - % to plan
- Training Participation
Experience / Education:
- A minimum of 1+ years customer facing experience required; strong preference for sales experience in either high end sales or a pay for performance environment
- High school diploma or equivalent required; additional education and training preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to deliver high levels of customer satisfaction by providing an individualized WOW experience with each and every customer
- Exceptional communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; ability to make a connection with a diverse array of customers
- Adept at using technology required for store operations (e.g., POS systems) and sales presentations (e.g., interactive demonstrations, iPad, apps); ability to communicate technical product knowledge effectively to customers
- High energy, enthusiastic and motivated demeanor
- Able to adapt and grow in a changing, fast-paced work environment
- Genuine desire to grow and learn, as well as contribute positively to a team-oriented work environment
- Motivated by a pay-for-performance compensation plan
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and able to demonstrate English language proficiency; second language skills encouraged
Working Conditions (if applicable)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule dictated by business needs; typical retail hours to include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Reliable transportation to / from work, in accordance with your schedule
- A commitment to professional appearance and attitude; willingness to represent the brand with integrity at all times
- Ability to stand/walk up to 75% of a shift
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds frequently and lift up to 36 pounds occasionally
- Occasional bending, squatting, kneeling and overhead reaching
- Occasional climbing of a 10 ft. ladder for retrieving boxes and materials up to 30 pounds
Sleep Number is an equal opportunity employer, committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, regardless of sex; race; color; creed; national origin; religion; age; marital status; pregnancy; physical, mental, communicative or sensory disability; sexual orientation; gender identity or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
This is the start of something big — because we give our sales professionals every opportunity to thrive in their role and beyond. You can even move into a training or events role or join our corporate office. Where will your path take you?
Rewards & Benefits
We offer health, wellness, insurance and financial programs to support you in pursuing your best self now.
Earn a competitive hourly rate, a commission that begins after your first $10K sales every month (with no caps!), and a bonus paid on individual sales when your store meets its goal.
You’ll get substantial product discounts, robust training and development and tuition reimbursement.
Health & Wellness
We offer comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, a 401(k) with company match, life insurance, HSAs/FSAs and more.
PTO, Programs and Recognition
Enjoy generous paid time off and company holidays, a variety of leave programs and formal employee recognition.
The Application Experience
Applying for a position with Sleep Number? Here’s a quick overview of the process and some tips to help you be successful.
Complete an online application
Get to know us better
- You’ll spend about 30 minutes talking to one of our recruiters on the phone; they will share more information about our company and culture as well as the role and its requirements. They will also ask some questions about your previous experience.
- You’ll have the chance to talk through your work history, how you’ve made an impact in the past and why you’re interested in joining our team
- Have dedicated time available without disruptions
- Relax and be yourself; we value individuals!
- Take the time to tell your story (work experience, what gives you a sense of purpose at work)
- Spend some time thinking about questions you have for us
- After this step, your recruiter will let you know if you’re moving to the next step
- Congrats! You’re moving ahead in the process and are meeting with the hiring leader and (if applicable) others in the team. Depending on the role, this interview may be in-person or via video chat.
- Tell me about a time you exceeded a customer’s expectations
- Tell me about a time when you had to admit to your leader that you weren’t very good at something.
- Describe when or where you learned the most about your stengths and weaknesses
- Talk with your recruiter about how to prepare
- Relax and be yourself; we value individuals!
- Be on time and dress professionally (even for a video chat)
- Be ready to share how much you’ve learned about Sleep Number
- Spend some time thinking about questions you have about us
We’ll ask you a series of behavior-based interview questions trying to gauge whether you’re a good fit for the role and the team. Here are some examples:
After the interview
- Your recruiter will follow-up so you know what to expect; in some cases, there may be additional interviews
- If you’re selected for the position:
- Your recruiter will work with you on your offer and start date
- Certain roles require additional steps between the offer and start date (e.g., background check); if that’s the case your recruiter will provide more information
- Your recruiter will follow up with you regularly before your first day
About our Location
San Luis Obispo, CaliforniaView