Senior Corporate Counsel - IPRemote Apply
Sleep Number team members are part of a passionate, purpose-driven culture that supports improving the health and wellbeing of society through higher quality sleep. We are not just focused on our customers, however; being employed by Sleep Number means your personal wellbeing is important, too. As we continue to grow, we are looking for team members who will bring their unique personalities, backgrounds, and skills to work. Whether you are entering, returning, or experienced in the workforce, we have a place for you.
In our 35+ years in the industry we have improved over 14 million lives, and we are just getting started. With 5,000+ team members nationwide supporting work disciplines from technology to manufacturing, retail stores to field services technicians, corporate teams to customer service, we are a sleep innovation leader because of our team members. Now is a great time to join us as we invest further in our people and sleep innovation. #TeamSleepNumber
Provide proactive, practical and sound counsel on intellectual property matters, general legal matters, and business matters.This role has responsibility in the management of the company’s intellectual property portfolios (patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets), ensuring that the company’s innovations are protected to the fullest extent possible, and ensures compliance with intellectual property laws.The role also leads contract review, drafting, and negotiation for IP-focused and sleep research contracts, and provides legal guidance on research, product development, digital health, and FDA/FTC regulatory interpretation and claim substantiation. Sleep Number's headquarters is located in Minneapolis, MN. This position is remote optional, but local candidates are preferred.
Develop and Maintain Patent Portfolio, Negotiate IP Contracts
- With input and oversight from Deputy General Counsel, develop, maintain, and execute patent harvesting and IP capture processes, management of company’s patent portfolio, including providing legal counsel on patent strategies and management of outside counsel and internal staff.
- Develop and lead training related to IP processes, protection of IP, and protection of company confidential information.
- Develop and maintain processes to catalogue open-source code leveraged by product teams and provide practical timely legal analysis regarding the use thereof.
- Review, draft and negotiate IP-focused contracts and data usage agreements, such as Joint Development Agreements and research agreements.
Develop and Maintain Trademark Portfolio
- Lead in the management of the company's trademark portfolio. Actively manage, with outside and internal counsel, trademark applications and registrations to ensure proper trademark protection.
- Manage or conduct trademark clearance searches and provide timely advice to business partners regarding results.
- Manage staff to complete timely review of proposed advertising and marketing materials for trademark compliance and adherence to legal guidelines and best practices; provide assistance with the ongoing development of policies and procedures related to the development of advertising and marketing materials.
IP Compliance, Enforcement, and Brand Protection
- Identify need for and manage outside counsel in the completion of freedom to operate analyses and advise business on findings and applicable strategies.
- Actively survey competitive landscape for potential infringement of company’s intellectual property and advise company regarding its rights and enforcement options.
- Support in the management of outside litigation counsel related to lawsuits involving patent infringement, trademark infringement, or trade secret misappropriation.
- Assist in the management of brand protection and enforcement efforts. Manage staff and resources to identify misuse or infringement of company's brand and develop responses to protect the brand.
- Provide practical legal counsel related to new product initiatives and product warranty initiatives.
- Review and investigate substantiation for marketing and product capability claims.
- Counsel on product compliance and contract matters, including managing and preparing related internal or publicly filed reports.
- Apply innovative, problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to manage risk.
- Conduct research, perform special projects, and advise on other topics as needed.
- Minimum 5 years of experience practicing law, with experience in patent and intellectual property matters.
- Law firm experience a plus.
- Prior experience in FDA regulated fields is preferred but not required.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic, growth-oriented environment.
- Active license to practice law in one or more states.
- Travel occasionally required
Our company's purpose is to improve the health and wellbeing of society.
Wellbeing is more than a catchphrase - it's a movement that permeates our company and through our team members. We are dedicated to enhancing and supporting the wellbeing of our team members and their families through benefits, programs, and resources across our five wellbeing pillars of emotional, financial, career, community, and physical health, with sleep at the center.
By joining our team, in addition to offering competitive pay programs, we are proud to offer eligible team members an extensive benefits package including, but not limited to medical and pharmacy benefits, dental, life and disability insurance, a matched 401(k) Plan, paid time off, and much more.
Examples of how we invest in your wellbeing:
Sleep - Our 360® smart bed for team members, and discounts on our innovations and sleep solutions for yourself and friends and family throughout the year.
Physical - Wide range of wellbeing resources and services through our medical plans to improve your physical health.
Emotional - Access to mental health resources, caregiving support, paid time off and parental leave to support your emotional wellbeing. Work for your day flexibility, available for select corporate roles.
Financial - Competitive base and variable pay programs, ability to save for the future through a matched 401(k) plan and financial support to recover from an illness or injury.
Community - Paid time off for volunteering and connections to our communities through our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives, and support for charitable causes.
Career - Opportunities for career development and continuous learning, including a tuition reimbursement program.
Safety is a top priority for Sleep Number supporting customers and team members wellbeing. COVID-19 Precaution(s) are in place consistent with CDC guidelines, U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Health & Safety Administration (OSHA), and state/local laws.
Sleep Number is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people and prohibit discrimination based on race, color, marital status, religion, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
It is Sleep Number’s policy to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities during the application process, consistent with applicable law. We may require supporting medical or religious documentation where applicable and permissible by law. If you are a qualified individual, you may request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the selection process, including if you are unable or otherwise limited in your ability to access open roles here.
Recently Viewed jobs
No jobs have been viewed recently.
Sorry, you do not have any saved jobs.