Senior Mechanical Design EngineerApply
The Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer will discover, test and implement new innovative technologies into our market leading products. This individual will be a key member in Sleep Number’s strategic execution of product development, championing great design and problem-solving skills in support of our vision of becoming the world’s most beloved brand by delivering an unparalleled sleep experience.
This position is responsible for leading engineering functions on new product development projects, about heating and cooling technologies, through all stages of development from conception to commercialization.
- Define new and existing design requirements in accordance with corporate quality goals, design for manufacturing (DFM), product marketing, and customer expectations and requirements.
- Provide technical supervision to CAD designers and engineering lab technicians. May also be responsible for administrative management of designers.
- Identify and analyze alternative new product design criteria to achieve optimal solutions that satisfy cost, technical requirements and project schedules.
- Develop test methodologies to ensure that new product designs are verified and validated before product launch.
- Understand and autonomously execute change management to include product and regulatory documentation.
- Conduct periodic design reviews to gather design inputs from cross-functional teams
- BS in Engineering required, MS or MBA considered a plus, and a minimum of 8 years of experience in the field of engineering.
- Technical background in thermodynamics and/or design experience in HVAC equipment strongly desired.
- Proven proficiency in design and development of mechanical systems.
- Experience designing consumer goods considered a plus.
- 3+ years’ experience working in a stage gate process for new product development (NPD) is a plus.
- Design for Six-Sigma (DFSS) experience considered a plus.
- P.E. license considered a plus.
- Strong engineering aptitude
- A self-starter, highly motivated with good organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated success in several design, development, validation and launches of new products.
- Proven ability to lead technical and cross-functional project teams from concept to market successfully.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership in all design aspects of a project with advanced complexity and scope.
- Proven ability to successfully perform within a cross-functional team environment. Collaborate on cross-functional projects, reaching beyond traditional engineering responsibilities, to assist others as necessary to achieve goals
- Ability to design / solve complex engineering problems with minimal supervision
- Highly proficient with new product development tools like Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA), Design Validation & Testing (DVT) and Weibull Reliability analysis.
- Strong CAD (Pro/ENGINEER preferred) skills are required. Experienced in Tolerance analysis and GD&T.
- Proven experience in linear and non-linear structural analysis (FEA), thermal analysis, and fluid dynamics (CFD).
- Effective project management (MS Project preferred) & planning and cost forecasting skills.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to present complex ideas and content to diverse audiences.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize.
- Conscientious, team player who drives for results.
- Superior organizational skills with ability to multi-task and balance complex and routine work activities.
- Ability to multi-task and manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to work as a team player and team builder.
- Prepare written reports, proposals, and presentations
Recently Viewed jobs
No jobs have been viewed recently.
Sorry, you do not have any saved jobs.
“We have the freedom of a start-up to explore new technology and methods, backed by a strong company like Sleep Number.”Abhishek, Director of Analytics