Manager, Material Planning & SchedulingApply
The Manager of Material Planning & Scheduling is responsible for leading the material planning and scheduling functions for Manufacturing, Assembly and Packing operations as assigned by the Sr Materials Manager. He or she is responsible for managing the Material Planner(s) in the requisition of raw materials, attainment of inventory targets, and coordination with suppliers to ensure that adequate supplies are on hand to meet customer demand and production requirements. He or she is also responsible for managing the Production Scheduler(s) in the release and oversight of jobs/work orders, execution of level loading and alignment of schedules with production capacities and calendars. The Manager is responsible for leading the team in determining the required inventory levels (including Safety Stock) for all raw materials and finished goods under their purview and for the guidance and coordination with cross functional teams for the associated categories and operations.
- Planning Leadership:
- Leads Material Planner(s) for the assigned raw material & finished good categories
- Ensures in stock of raw materials and component inventory to meet production requirements and customer demand, i.e. product availability
- Manages Material Planner(s) in the development and communication of a rolling 12+ month raw material forecast for assigned suppliers
- Inspect and measure the supplier forecasts for frequency, timeliness, and accuracy
- Manages relationships with current suppliers to eliminate constraints and meet objectives
- Leads daily production planning meetings with manufacturing team managers, assesses production and materials plans
- Leads the Production Scheduling for Sewing Dept in the assigned Manufacturing/Assembly location(s) and assigned categories
- Supports the communication of daily, weekly, and monthly production plans. Focus on capacity planning and material requirements
- Provides detailed input into the rough-cut capacity plans in partnership with Sr Materials Manager, Plant Operations, Quality, Lean and Human Capital partners
- Actively leads Material Planner(s) & Production Scheduler(s) in the proactive communication with internal customers regarding supply expectations & material availability
- Minimize obsolete/aged inventory both internally and at suppliers
- Responsible for coaching and developing team members including conducting coaching sessions and performance reviews
- Leads Material Planner(s) for the assigned raw material & finished good categories
- Inventory Management:
- Leads the Planner(s) and Scheduler(s) in determining the desired inventory levels for all raw materials, components, and finished goods under their purview (including safety stock)
- Develop and project a monthly and quarterly inventory targets for materials and components while managing procurement to achieve targeted inventory levels on both a cost and unit basis
- Early identification of shortages impacting the ability to fulfill internal and external orders
- Clear and proactive communication with cross-functional partners
- Actively manages the resolution of shortages related to assigned categories
- Minimize obsolete/aged inventory
- Achieve desired corporate inventory turn targets for assigned categories
- Track and communicate critical KPIs for raw materials and finished goods (i.e. Supplier on-time delivery, fill rate, Supplier forecast accuracy, Plant in stock levels)
- Track and communicate critical KPIs for production (i.e. schedule attainment, supermarket health)
- Evaluation and maintenance of item settings for assigned categories to ensure that the systems and tools are setup to support desired outcomes (Safety Stocks, Time Fences, Category Codes, etc).
- Lead and perform total cost analysis to understand and balance inventory and scheduling requirements along with transportation, expediting, owned inventory and warehousing expenses to enable an informed decision for Supply Chain leaders.
- Understand end to end Supply Chain processes from production to fulfillment inclusive of Sleep Number manufacturing and assembly to Home Delivery.
- Identifying critical risks in Manufacturing related to scheduling and providing mitigation, escalating, or seeking support as necessary to resolve.
- Advanced knowledge of end to end manufacturing processes from raw material procurement to finished good production.
- Detailed understanding of capacities and constraints.
- Lead strategic planning to ensure Sleep Number demand is met while managing to Sleep Number inventory goals.
- Lead internal partners and leadership to solutions, assessing inventory and total cost impacts.
- Collaboration & Cross-Functional Partnership
- Maintain strong partnership with Production Managers & Material Planners to ensure that deliveries and commitments are fulfilled on time.
- Partner with Production Teams to proactively resolve constraints.
- Partner with Warehousing Teams to balance inventory objectives with warehouse storage capabilities.
- Partners with Warehousing, Plant Operations and Sr Materials Manager to provide plant wide space forecast for key categories
- Provide inventory projections and risk scenarios for all new, changing or sunsetting products.
- Provide communication, direction and support to internal teams as required.
- Coordinates and monitors materials deviations, providing Sleep Number personnel with input to a new process. Also, drives ECO work in an effort towards SKU simplification and ensuring material availability
- Continuous Improvement
- Coordinates new product launches to meet production schedules and minimize material obsolescence during phase in and out process
- Leads cross-functionally with Plant Operations and Corporate partners to manage material changes, supplier initiatives and continuous improvement activities
- Responsible for the overall maintenance, support and training of the application software (Oracle) used in manufacturing and material planning; including standard work documentation
- Evaluate existing processes for assigned categories and seek continual improvement opportunities to increase effectiveness and efficiencies; Ability to seek out support on putting plan into action
- Ability to lead through changes with both internal and external partners gaining buy-in on future state improvements and capabilities
- Responsible for continuously improving, developing and implementing procedures, processes, measurements, systems support and maintenance. Works to improve material flow within the facility and manage suppliers, materials and inventory consistent with a lean manufacturing environment while leveraging MRP system.
- 7+ year of inventory planning and distribution and/or material planning/production scheduling experience
- 3+ years leading teams in supply planning or scheduling
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Supply Chain, Operations, Engineering or similar field
- Master’s Degree (or Supply Chain course work certificated) preferred
- Lean Manufacturing experience
- Oracle R12 experience, Advanced Supply Chain Planning preferred
- APICS/ISM coursework – certification preferred
- Strong analytical ability to independently comprehend inventory levels as affected by various inputs and controls
- Ability to coach, train, and mentor team members
- Extensive hands-on experience with a MRP and production scheduling system
- Highly proficient in MS Office programs, especially Excel
- Advanced analytical ability required turning data into meaningful insights
- Proven record of taking insights into actions to achieve and advance goals and objectives
- High level of attention to detail
- Able to prioritize and juggle multiple demands
- Demonstrate a strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skill set
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of material flow related to production requirements planning
- Team oriented and ability to work in a highly cross-functional organization
- Must be oriented for continuous improvement
- Must have the ability to manage confidential and company proprietary information
- Must possess sound judgment, planning and analytical skills to relate to management, production and supply base contacts
Recently Viewed jobs
No jobs have been viewed recently.
Sorry, you do not have any saved jobs.
“Sleep is integral to a happy healthy lifestyle and it has such a huge impact on everyday life. Sleep Number is a unique company to work for because you’re truly helping people.”Sophia, Customer Service Representative